Friday, August 27, 2010

Life in Texas


Here are some photos of my new apartment:



About a week ago I moved from Bountiful, UT to Lubbock, TX. I was so sad to leave Utah. Sometimes I would almost start to cry when I would look at the mountains because I knew Lubbock was flatter than a piece of paper. Not only was I sad to leave Utah because of the beautiful surroundings but also because I have made so many good friends while living there. I already miss them! L One night while driving in my friend’s jeep, jamming out, I just started to cry! It was kind of silly but I knew I wouldn’t have my buddy to belt it out with me in the car. Goodbyes are so sad!Add Image

However, hellos are exciting. Moving in was a little bit of a fiasco. I had told the moving company about a month before I came out that I would be moving in a day earlier than scheduled. But when I got to the apartment to move in, the carpet was still ripped up and it was dirty from workmen. Mind you, I had to pay full month’s rent for August. I was a little ticked. So I called and then they wanted to show me a different apartment that was being cleaned out that day that had just been remodeled. So, I checked it out and ended up moving into that apartment. I really like it except the front room smelled a little smoky but I think I’ve gotten rid of the smell with the help of vinegar, candles, and air fresheners. I think it was only in the front room because the previous tenants would smoke on the front porch.

Oh, and I almost forgot about my house friends. Well, after moving in all my things, I needed to vacuum and mop. I wanted to do a thorough job; so, when I encountered the water heater closet, I decided to vacuum where no tenant had vacuumed before. As I was vacuuming up mounds of dirt, I would sometimes find an object that would not fit in the vacuum tube. So, I would turn off the vacuum, let the item drop to the floor with the intention to throw it away when I was done. Well, it happened again, but this time the object had a tail. I thought to myself, “That looks like a tail, weird.” Then when I turned off the vacuum and got a closer look, what did I see? Yes, a dead mouse carcass! The insides had rotted out but the little coat of fur was still intact. Yes, of course, I let out a scream. That was disgusting.

My second house friend is a fly. I have yet to name this fellow. I feel like if I name him, then I am giving him permission to live with me which I am really not okay with. He is a little buggy. No pun intended. He is always trying to eat my food. He touches me when I don’t want to be touched. He sometimes makes noise which is bothersome to me. I know, some of you are thinking, “this sounds like my husband!” I tried to get him to fly out the window today. I think it may have worked because I haven’t seen him tonight. If I see him again, I might have to have “the talk” with him.

Anyway, I have started classes and I think I am really gonna love my graduate work. My cohort is awesome. It is also awesome living 2 minutes away from my sister and her family. So although it's been a hard move, I'm really excited to be here in Lubbock and I can't wait till our first football game next weekend! Yay!


7 comments:

  1. Your apartment looks really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know how you chose where to put the magnets on your fridge. I'm sure there's some method to your madness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are liking it!!! Your apartment looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your apartment - nice job settling in. I just moved too, and I think you're exactly right about goodbyes being hard and hellos being exciting. Well put. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your apartment looks great! I can't wait to come see it! And you of course. Miss your face! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful! How fun that you live so close to Rachel. I'll have to come there to visit you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOSH!!! I love it! It's so cute! I love you homeslice! You da best!

    ReplyDelete