Thursday, November 25, 2010

There are other squirrels in the forest



Well, Thanksgiving is always a special time for me but this year was a different kind of special. This year my parents came in town since both my sister and I live here in Lubbock. We had the traditional Thanksgiving meal and afterwards the kids were begging me to dance like "Dancing in the Stars." So, we were all dancing around when I hear shouting from the kitchen that we are going to some family friends of my sister. The girls got all excited because this family has two boys--my nieces' crushes. So, the girls go change their outfits so they can look cute for the boys and we all pile in the car. I started to wonder what this visit is all about because my sister had told me that the wife in this family has a brother that she'd like to set me up with. So, I'm thinking there is an ulterior motive for me to meet this man. I already knew I was not looking for anyone, so I was not excited to be introduced this man. For a while the brother was not present, so I felt a sense of relief that vanished only 15 minutes later when a chair was set next to me and the brother sat down. Now, I'm sure he is nice but he is around 38 but looks like he is 50. I avoided conversation with him because I didn't want him to ask for my number or anything but inevitably he opened his mouth to jump in the conversation. I just about died. He had a voice that sounded like he had just inhaled air from a helium balloon but with a southern accent. Basically, a chipmunk, southern style. My brother-in-law felt bad and described him as squirrelly, and my sister chimed in, "Don't worry Rebecca, there are other squirrels in the forest." Well, even as awkward as that was, we did get a good laugh. I'm glad that my singleness can bring entertainment to the family but I'm hoping this is not going to be an annual tradition. As much as I care for all God's creations, I'm just not feeling the squirrel.

3 comments:

  1. bAHAHAHA. You're HILARIOUS, Rebecca :) Have no fear, you will find an amazing man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious! Rebecca I really like you :)

    ReplyDelete