Sunday, March 21, 2010

Thanksgiving in March

Today I made a turkey. Now, I put the turkey in the refrigerator on Thursday night because I wanted to cook it on Sunday while I was at church. So this morning I pull out the turkey to start seasoning it. First things first, I needed to take out the innards. There was this strange plastic thing binding the legs, so I had to get rid of that. Now it looked like a could just rip it out but of course it wasn't that easy. So I whipped out the scissors to cut it but that was when I realized that this plastic thing was going to be more complicated to remove because the turkey was still frozen on the inside. So, I keep trying to pull the legs apart so I can get inside the turkey's cavity. Finally I get my hand in only to realize there is ice everywhere. So I let the turkey sit in water for about an hour.

Return to the turkey
So my second attempt to remove the unwanted body parts was more promising. Finally I am able to chip away the ice and I find this large bone right in the middle. So I start pulling on it trying to get it out. I don't know why, but I really didn't know what this bone was. I was thinking "why is there a bone smack dab in the middle of the turkey's cavity?" Hmm. Well, my hands kept slipping and I couldn't get it out for a while. mind you I'm splashing water all over the place. Finally, I get it out and realize it was the neck as I see the curved end, which explains why it didn't come straight out.

Buttering up the turkey
So now I put some butter on my hands and stick my hands in between the skin and breast trying to butter it up and get some spices in there. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to use sage and rosemary but I forgot to buy those, so I used thyme and bay leaves. Well, I'm coming from the behind and realize that the skin doesn't let up all the way from that end so then I try to find an opening at the head of the turkey where I can get the butter and spices in between the skin and turkey breast. So, now I'm buttering up the turkey from the head and I notice this paper sticking out. I was thinking, "why'd they put paper in the turkey?" So I pull on it, and what comes out? Yep, the gizzards.

So finally, it's ready and I stick it in the oven. Now I let it cook while I was at church and that little poppy thing never popped up. So I didn't really know when it was done. I think I cooked it a little too long but it turned out alright. The most exciting part was when I used the baster to get some juices to make gravy and accidentally sprayed my friend.

Well, the rolls, potatoes, and yams turned out great and the turkey wasn't too dry. Yes, we skipped the stuffing. I know, it's crime to make a Thanksgiving dinner without stuffing. I also know it is weird to have Thanksgiving in March but it's also weird that girls dream about their boyfriends turning into vampires.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the vampire statement. Thanksgiving is welcome any time of the year.

    ReplyDelete