Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Bump it

I am so glad I created this blog so that I can use it as a forum to discuss important political, social, and even grooming issues.
Today, I think it is imperative that we talk about "the Bump it." Now some of you might not be familiar with"the Bump it." Some might only recognize the Bump it by the name of the off brand item, "High on Hair." I don't know why they thought the name "High on Hair" was marketable, or even clever. It only made me think, "Nope, if I'm gonna get high, marijuana still sounds like the better choice...and that's illegal." This "High on Hair" should be illegal! But you know what? "Bump it" isn't a great name either. To me, it sounds like a suggestive dance move. . . in fact, I think I've heard that term in a rap song.


So . . . for those of you who have missed the infomercial attractively portraying this hair piece and what it can do for your hair, I will enlighten you. Look at this girl to the left. She actually is a very cute girl, nice face. But what's up with the shape of her head? Did she get drunk and fall out of a moving car and bump her head on the cement? How else do you get a bump that large on the back of your head? Well, no, this is actually something some women consider attractive. If you have a normal shaped head and your hair falls naturally, you could be endangering your chances of getting picked up on. Yes, a man could look at you and think, "Her head looks...round. She has a nice face but her hair is so...flat. I like a girl who wears a bump it. I just love when we make out and it it begins to get a bit more heated. I start running my hands through her hair, and then like digging for treasure, my finger tips run into the Bump it!Yes! Yes! Yes!"
My favorite is this next girl. She has a little bit of the Sarah Palin look going on. Look at her confidence as she points those index fingers; she knows she's got it going on!
Now the first time I saw the Bump it, I was confused. I was sitting in church, attempting to think about Jesus and became distracted by the girl sitting in front me. I thought, "What is up with her hair? Is that the shape of her head? If that's her hair, did she do that on purpose? Does she know I can't see anything because her hair is so tall?" Well, I thought, okay, one misguided woman. But then I saw another, and hers looked worse! Then I was at the gym, sweating, my hair a hot mess and I see a girl on a treadmill. Yes! It was the one from church! And she was wearing the Bump it! At the gym! Now when you work out you shouldn't wear jewelry. I also think a hard plastic thing in your hair could also be hazardous. But maybe that's just me. . .
Now some of you might think that I'm judgmental, but I firmly believe in the motto, "don't knock it till you try it." Yes, I have worn a Bump it. I even wore it in public. A good friend gave me one (actually it is the "High on Hair" brand) as a gag gift and I decided to try it out at a party. Well, no one got my number and by the end of the night, the plastic spokes were sticking up out of my hair. Success story, I think not.

Top ten reasons to not own a Bump it
10. Big hair was cool in the 80's, it's 2010.
9. No matter how many bump its you use, the polygamists still have higher hair than you ever will.
8. It's actually a little painful to wear, kind of like those stiff headbands.
7. People will talk about you behind your hair, I mean behind your back.
6. Guys like big butts, not big hair. I've never heard a song say, "I like big hair and I cannot lie..."
5. People wonder about the shape of your head
4. You block others' vision
3. You have created extra space where bugs can create a home
2. You are living a lie...you do not have that much hair
1. You have purchased something sold on an infomercial

7 comments:

  1. Rebecca, who can I go and talk to about my incessant thoughts about the possibility of me owning a bump-it. Seriously, I read your blog and I felt like I needed to confess, and I thought you might have some great insight. I don't know, sometimes I think, "Maybe the reason I'm not in a relationship is because I don't own a bump it." But after reading your article, I can see the err of these thoughts, and I just want to know if there is a bump-it preist or confessional that I can attend to rid myself of my evil bump-it thoughts. Thanks!

    Sincerely,
    A Bump-it Survivor and New found Anti-High on Hair Revolutionary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the last five top ten reasons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny and clever Rebecca! I too am still looking for the last five tope ten reasons. Keep up the good blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bump-it. more like crap-it.
    that should be the other 5 reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHAHAHA. Rebecca, seriously, that was definitely very cynical but needed to be said! Loved your points except I too want the other 5 reasons....

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE IT! I'm so excited to read more. Annette just told me you had a blog and she told me what she thought was the URL, so I typed it in and wasn't sure what it would bring up but when I was the title "the Domestic Unwife" and was like "yup, that's it! I'm sure of it!!" It is perfect and hilarious...you!

    I always think these exact same things about the bump it...are people really still doing this hair style? Seriously? Hilarious. Thank you for publicizing this atrocity!

    And...I'm calling you right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! Very funny Rebecca- Cute blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete