Monday, April 19, 2010

Always a bridesmaid?


I just attended my younger sister's wedding and next week I will be attending my best friend's wedding. Now, single girls often joke at a time like this, "Oh, I'm always the bridesmaid, never the bride." So, when this thought popped in my head last week, I thought, "Well shoot, it could be worse. It could be: 'always the bride, never the bridesmaid.' Now that would really suck. How many times could you be the bride? How many times could you get it wrong?" Unfortunately, some people do know the answer to this question.

Weddings are interesting for the single woman. My favorite activity is the catching of the bouquet. I always try to avoid this activity. When I was little I thought it was fun but now it's just awkward. There is a reason I only played softball for one year in the first grade. I can't catch. Your whole life you grow up being teased, "you throw like a girl!" or "you can't catch!" And then what does society do? Tells you that you better catch this odd shaped bouquet of flowers in 4 inch heals with 20 other girls pushing you out of the way OR you might not get married. What the heck?
Well, I did participate but luckily it wasn't thrown anywhere near me. Not because I don't want to get married, but because how embarrassing if I dropped it! Well, my sister threw it too high and it hit the ceiling and some little girl picked it up off the floor. My cute niece was so distraught that she didn't catch the bouquet that she started to cry. Then she came up to me and asked that I would throw my bouquet to her when I get married. So cute.


5 comments:

  1. Your shoes are AWESOME. Yes, I see your shoes. Where did your sister in the bluish green dress get hers? My friend could use that for bridesmaids in her upcoming wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS How/why are you all so pretty???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she got the dress from target but I'll ask. Why are we all so pretty? The Schwann man. We grew up eating ice cream every night. It's the only possible explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so pretty! Your outfit turned out perfect! Love it!

    ReplyDelete