Sunday, September 5, 2010

Reflections on a disturbed childhood

When I reflect back on my childhood, it is typically with fond memories. However, this weekend my parents came to visit and brought my old art projects, which made me question just how great my childhood was. Here are some pieces of my original art. Let's examine these together.

First, we have the pooposaurus. I'm pretty sure that I meant for this to be a dinosaur but it sure looks a lot like feces. I think it means that subconciously, my childhood was crappy.


Next, we have a picture that might look more familiar. I think this is my interpretation of minnie mouse. I'm guessing that the reactions of my classmates and parents when they saw their daughter brought home poop was very traumatic, for both me and everyone else. So, I probably decided to do something less original and more socially acceptable.


Next, we have a little oil lamp. For some reason, this reminds me of Judaism. When I was in grade school there was a secret part of me that really wanted to be Jewish. I had a lot of Jewish friends growing up, but I wanted to be Jewish mostly because of that sweet "Dreidel, dreidel" song we sang every holiday season.


Now, after seeing this, I'm bitter I didn't copy write this face. It looks just like the lemur king off Madagascar. I think this truly captures who I am on the inside. A jungle animal that likes to move it! Just kidding...or am I? I had a friend once tell me that if I was an animal I would be a lemur, so who knows?


This one must have been made during a really rough time. I have no explaination but he is smiling, so I wasn't quite suicidal.


I think around age 9, I was possibly exploring the possibility of becoming a clown. I mean, I already had the white skin, so why not color on my face a little too?

Now, last but definitely not least! I think I was in junior high when I made this. I wish I could say I was on acid but I wasn't. To me this seriously looks like Satan's steed. It looks like the offspring of a goat and unicorn couple who then mated with an orc.

So now you know the real reason I went into therapy. Looks like I've been needing it for quite some time now!







6 comments:

  1. Ha ha. I <3 you. That last one looks pretty meticulous if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh...wow. Well, one thing is to be sure, you liked faces as a child. I wonder what could be interpreted by that. And I did like that last one, it looks like it came from some awesome indigenous tribe in Africa. That's some serious art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite one is the poop and the oil lamp/oddly shaped bong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahaha I love it! you're awesome!! Actually, I really like the last one...very expressionist and abstract :) you should frame it and hang it in your apartment!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO funny! I love them! You sure are an artist!

    ReplyDelete