Sunday, September 12, 2010

The young Rebecca

My parents came out for Labor Day weekend and brought all my photo albums and memorabilia. There was so much stuff, so I went through it in efforts to get rid of the junk. I came across I few interesting things.

First, was my hero paper. Now, typically a kid might choose a parent or superhero, but not Rebecca. I chose Jay Leno. And I quote:
"I think Jay Leno is the best out of the other comedians because I can understand his jokes."

"I chose Jay Leno as my hero because not very many people would think of him as a hero, but to me he is. He's a hero because he makes me feel relaxed and gets rid of my anger and sadness. I admire for being able to do this just by telling funny jokes. He might not seem to be a hero because he didn't save lives or discover anything important, but to me being able to make people laugh and cheer them up is heroic to me."

I don't really know how to comment on that, but wow.

Second, was an entry in a book each student made for himself. This entry was the "all about me" section.
"My first word was cookie. I began to walk at 13 months. I went to Lutheran preschool, and my best friend was Stephanie. In preschool I had a crush on this boy, I don't remember his name, but when he cried I didn't like him anymore."
Well, I like my men a little tougher. Don't judge me for being insensitive.

Last is an excerpt from a book of self-written poems.

I am a parrot, talking all the time.
I am a snake, having a long tongue.
I am a horse, galloping across the finish line.
I am an alligator, laying in the sun.
I am a monkey, making faces.
I am a kangaroo, jumping around in the day.
I am a giraffe, burping a lot.
I am an eagle, flying high above the clouds.

My personal favorites are the snake and giraffe. It seems as though I was picking the animals because I really did exhibit similar behaviors but the last one talks about flying like an eagle. That never happened. Just don't want you to be confused...but the rest are true.

6 comments:

  1. Haahaha I love it! Even as a young child you were the same person you are now :) AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this during church and I loved it! You are fabulous! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just goes to show that people really never change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha, i love the jay leno paper, how old were you then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that Jay Leno was your hero. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I consider myself truly fortunate to be your friend after reading this post...

    ReplyDelete