Thursday, January 17, 2013

Multi-tasker Anonymous

Hi, my name is Rebecca and I'm a multi-tasker. Whew, it feels so good to get that off my chest! I've been caught multitasking not just at home, but also at work. That's how bad it has gotten. Have I breastfed my child while typing a case note at my work office? Guilty! I thought I was being so clever! My husband caught me the other day while multitasking. Isaac had put on the movie Hugo. I thought he wouldn't notice me slipping into the kitchen to clean a few dishes, but then I heard it, "[silence]." He had paused the movie. And then the dreaded, "What do you think you are doing?!" "(nervously) Uh, I'm doing the dishes..." "Get over here and watch this movie with me!" And the dishes just sat there on the counter, dirty, longing to jump into a pool of soapy water. A basket of laundry just three feet away, my hands aching to fold those burp cloths. But Isaac was on guard, which meant only one thing: I had to sit down and watch the movie. Did I enjoy the movie? Of course, but once I had the chance, I was back at it. Those dishes were splishing and splashing.

On a more serious note, this is something I've been thinking about lately. Sometimes our lives become so busy that we are trying to do so many things at one time. I wonder if I am actually enjoying the activity because it's never just one activity; it's always two. So, is TV relaxing if I'm always working while watching TV? Can house work be therapeutic if I am being distracted by the TV? Am I really listening to the person on the phone if I am folding laundry at the same time? Am I more productive for multitasking, or am I just more exhausted? Sometimes I turn off the TV while nursing to focus on my baby, and sometimes I'll lay down on the floor next to my baby while he is playing. It surprises me how quickly I become antsy. Shouldn't I be doing something on my to-do list? What if I just lay here for the next hour, how behind would I get? Would the house become a mess? Would my husband think I was lazy?

I think all mothers (and women) multitask. The job of running a household is about 24 hours of work packed into the 16 hours you actually have. Life is really about how you allocate your time. I guess I'm questioning how I've been allocating mine.

*I give credit to my dear friend Annette for the inspiration behind this post.

6 comments:

  1. Just another way I have turned into my mother s I've grown older. She could never sit through a whole movie When we were young nd now the only way I can sit through a movie is if it's in the movie theater. There's just always so much To get done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooooo. I just commented & it was wiped away.

    HAHA I love this post. Amen sista. And thanks for the shootout/credit.

    Hi, my name is Annette, and I am a multi-tasker. Let it be known though, that I am d$#% good at it too. ;)

    For reals though, I tend to only multitask on things that are sort of menial. I take my husband time, reading time, phone chat time, and my relaxation time very seriously. I won't multitask those! Otherwise, fair game. But once again, I'm super good at it. And if I want to enjoy something, I won't multitask it. love ya for writing this

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about this lately too, especially the part about feeling lazy if I'm not doing tons of things at once. My brother recently said to me, "You might be busy, but are you fulfilled?" That really hit me. I want to be productive but it shouldn't be my goal just to feel good about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so wise my sister! I am not that good at multitasking so I don't think I have a problem but I agree with Isaac. I never like it when we sit down to watch a movie and Heather is on pinterest and wants to show me all the cute things she finds. I fear as we become more wired as a society this will become harder and harder to avoid.

    ReplyDelete