Sunday, May 30, 2010

Being funny isn't very ladylike

So, a couple months back I found out that some of my favorite comedic female TV personalities were lesbians, Sue Sylvester from Glee, Wanda Sykes....Well, I started to think, all the funny women are lesbians. I tried to think of funny women who were straight and couldn't think of a single one! Then it dawned on me, "Oh no! I'm funny! People probably think I'm a lesbian!" This explains a lot. It explains the decrease in dates. It explains why gay men try to date me when trying to hide their sexuality. These guys are thinking, "This is a win-win. People will think we're both straight!" Problem? Yeah, I am straight! Does our society think that humor is purely a more masculine characteristic? I've always considered myself feminine but maybe I just never realized that being funny isn't very ladylike.

4 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting concept. Personally I think that having a good sense of humor is very lady-like. If fact, it is one of my top criteria for a dateable woman. The characteristic that I feel is un-lady-like is an inclination towards crude or offensive humor. A good, clean, intelligent sense of humor is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! Oh my gosh Rebecca! You are hilarious! Geez. Wow. Well, I do have to say that I was talking to Mari the other day and she mentioned that she had read an article in Scientific American about humor. It was about how men want a funny woman...but what they mean by that is someone who will laugh at their jokes. And when women say they want a funny man, they mean someone who makes funny jokes. I thought "Geez, I'm in big trouble! I'm funny, I guess that means I can never get married because men won't want to marry me!" I have since come to conclue that is not necessarily true. I want to marry someone who is funny, but more like someone I can be funny with. They are funny, I am funny and together, we are really funny. We can take turns being funny. Or we can not be funny. But I do understand your concern...and your feelings are valid. I think the trick is to find someone who loves your sense of humor. Because you are funny, and so am I. And we can marry funny men. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH LOVED this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was far too funny to be written by anyone but a lesbian!

    P.S. Julia Louis-Dreyfus? Funny!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete