Monday, May 3, 2010

I grew up in Eden


I grew up in Eden. It’s been about two years since I’ve been home to St. Louis. Sometimes you don’t know how much you’ve missed a place until you've returned to it. I’ve always known that I have strong attachments to people but never realized how attached I could grow to a place.
I got into St. Louis pretty late and as I sat on my suitcase waiting for my step dad to pick me up, I felt the most peaceful calmness settle over me as the humid air blew through my hair. It smelled like home. The next morning I woke up and decided to go for a run like so many times before. I stepped outside and I just wanted to cry. It was so beautiful, so green. I felt like I had returned to the Garden of Eden.



Now, most people probably think of St. Louis as just another city but it is such a beautiful place. The spring turns the grass and trees as green as a rain forest. The fall is the most beautiful death you could behold, and as the crisp air pulls the leaves off the trees, it takes your breath with it. The winter is mysteriously unpredictable but when snow covers the forest of trees, you feel as though God has laid a white blanket over you to keep you warm until the spring comes again.

St. Louis is not just another city, it's a little piece of heaven on earth.

9 comments:

  1. GORDITA!! I had no idea that you have a blog! YAY! Where have you been?! Well, I've just perused through some of your posts- FUN! I miss you! And I can't WAIT to see you!!!! Oh and I drove through St Louis on my way here...definitely liked it....very beautiful! And I thought of you as I was driving through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. St. Louis! It's been so long since I've been there (during good weather anyway). It is beautifully green though- you are right there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From one who also grew up in Eden, I will agree that I love the green spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN!!! I am with you. I so wish I could have gone back too...hopefully soon! I always tell Danny I want to live there and he doesn't mind...now we just need a reason!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been feeling the same way! Living in Idaho I have been rather homesick. It's May and the high is still only around 50. Only half the trees have started to turn green. I thought I would never want to live in St. Louis as an adult but I would pick it over the intermountain west any day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that kinda makes me homesick too. There is something very comforting about that humid air and the noisy bugs and the green green green. i need an excuse to visit kentucky now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right! I almost cry every time I get there and feel that humidity again! I love driving through my neighborhood and seeing all the trees and green! It's so not the same here! I miss it every day of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a gorgeous place! And a fabulous place to be from :)

    Love this post. Love the blog. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love humidity! I always describe it to people as cozy, that's how it feels to me.

    ReplyDelete